- By Klein Home Solutions
- In Basement Waterproofing, Drainage Systems, French Drain, Gutters, Leaky Basement, Repairs, Water Damge
- Tags basement systems, basement waterproofing, benefits of basement waterproofing, drainage systems, klein home solutions, leaky basement, water seepage, waterproofing methods, wet basement, wet basement repair, what is basement waterproofing
Maintenance Tips To Protect Your Home From Water Damage
Basement waterproofing in Erie PA is crucial for any home that’s susceptible to flooding. Foundation cracks, leaking pipes, and discoloration on the walls are just some of the signs that water damage has occurred in one of the most neglected areas of the house. Read on below for maintenance tips to protect your home from water damage.
Preventing Water Damage
While it’s completely normal to claim your insurance to cover damage, it only makes sense to avoid going through that kind of ordeal. You can prevent having to pay for wet basement repairs by following simple preventative measures, such as:
Installing a Sump Pump
A simple rainstorm can flood the basement — you can stop this from happening by having sump pump installation Erie PA. This helpful device works by pumping water up from the ground and leads it back outside. It’s an important investment if you want to keep your basement dry, especially if you live in a rainy environment.
Clearing Out Your Gutters
Your gutter serves to direct rainwater gathered from the roof so that it stays away from your home’s foundation. If it becomes clogged, it won’t be able to serve this purpose, thus water will spill over the edge where it can drip down to the basement. This is where water can do serious damage, so be sure to have your gutters cleaned twice a year — once during the fall and again during spring.
Taking Care of Your Pipes
A leaking or burst pipe can be a big contributor to water damage. To ensure that your pipes are properly maintained, be sure to:
– Never pour oil or grease down any of the drains at home
– Use a drain snake when any of the sinks start to back up. Avoid using unclogging chemicals.
– When it gets cold, be sure to set the thermostat to 60 degrees at a minimum. Next, open your under-sink cabinets so that warm air can circulate around the pipes. This will help to prevent them from freezing.
Upgrading Your Hoses
Your dishwashers and washing machines are supplied with water through hoses. Be sure to check them thoroughly on a regular basis for cracks, blisters, kinks, or bulges. These are signs of wear and are indicators that they need to be replaced. When you do replace them, make sure that you use ones that are reinforced with stainless steel, which will last longer compared to plastic or rubber hoses.
Contact Klein Home Solutions Today
If your home is suffering from water damage in Erie PA, you can count on us to provide you with the best waterproofing services available. Whether you want to install a sump pump or have the whole basement waterproofed, our team of experts will restore your home to its former glory and protect it from future damage.